Sunday, April 21, 2013

Playing with my Food - Eye of Round Roast

Sometimes I have to put down my tools and play with my food. I picked up a nice 3 pound eye of round roast at the grocery store the other day. (A long day of waiting for the vet to pull out poor Penny's tooth)

Anywho, I was looking for a different way of cooking up this delicious looking chunk of meat. I came across this recipe on Allrecipes.  So Easy! So delicious!
I did a wet rub with kosher salt, garlic and onion granules and a splash of Worcestershire sauce. Let the meat sit for a while to absorb all the goodness
.
Preheat the oven to 500 degrees.  Place the meat on a rack in a pan with some water and a little oil. (makes good Au jus!) Toss the meat, uncovered into the oven.

Turn the temp down to 475 and cook. I cooked the tasty bundle for 21 minutes as directed and didn't peek (as directed) for 4 hours.I poked at my warm little bundle and decided to repeat the process for another 14 minutes.

 So, only 21 minutes to cook for rare, or plan to heat the slices in Au jus.
 35 minutes if you want it medium and plan to whack some off immediately and toss it on a nice big toasted onion bun!


Up next on playing with my food...adventures in tamale making!


No comments:

Post a Comment